Here is how I to cook black bean burgers with sweet potato fries. I find that this is one of the healthiest recipes for burgers and fries, using black beans instead of meat, replacing white potatoes with sweet potatoes and baking the lot! This is a great choice for vegetarians, pescatarians or anyone with a lust for burgers.
1 tin of black beans
1/2 a white onion
3 cloves of Garlic
Salad – I used mixed leaves, cucumber, green beans and tomato
For the black bean burger…
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Mash the beans into a paste.
- Chop onion and garlic then add to the mashed beans.
- In a separate bowl, stir eggs, chili, salt and pepper.
- Combine the egg mixture with the mashed beans by stirring them together.
- Add breadcrumbs until the mixture can be held together.
- Mold the mixture into patty shapes, place them onto a baking tray and then bake for 6-10 minutes. (You may want to turn them over half way through baking to get an even bake).
If making ahead, cover the bean patties in cling film and refrigerate for up to a day.
To cook the sweet potato fries…
- Chop the sweet potatoes into strips then par boil until soft (approx 10-15 minutes).
- Put a dollop of coconut oil onto an oven tray then put into the oven to melt.
- When the sweet potatoes are soft, drain them and throw them onto the baking tray.
- Toss and shake the fries in the tray to cover them with coconut oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the fries for 20-30 minutes until crispy.
I like to prepare a small salad whilst the burger and fries are in the oven, but if you are not a fan of salad then you can just sit back and wait for them both to cook. In my opinion, a burger is not a burger without a bun, so I sandwich these burgers with a brioche bun. If you are more inclined towards a healthier option you can opt for a wholemeal bun, or ditch the bun entirely!